Looking for the Best Kitchen Knives? Check our buying guide!
Every Savvy individual has the quest to have the Best Kitchen knives but the question remains: How do I know the Best Kitchen knives in the market? This question would lead to so many answers but it is instructive to take them on a step by step basis. The basic goal is to ensure that you get real value when you make your purchase. It is important to mention that there are recent developments that have shaped the manufacture of Kitchen Knives. Some of these factors include the input of Regulatory Authorities, the impact of the production process and so much more. In order the get a good grasp of the Kitchen knives reviews; it is ideal to look beyond brand names, country of production and look for what these knives can offer. With this in mind, it is time to go deeper with the subject at hand.
Factors to Consider When Buying The Best kitchen knives
- Cost: When we look at various Kitchen Knives reviews; one of the common denominators is the price of the Kitchen Knives. It is imperative to understand that there is no hard and fast rule that applies across board. It all depends on what you want and the objective you have in mind. Essentially, there are short term and long term goals when individuals go for Kitchen Accessories. Based on this, it is ideal to find out if you can afford a Knife Set or if you budget can cover only the most essential one/s you need. Furthermore, a quick check of different brands can help make your decision-making process easier. Traditionally, most people believe that Japanese made Kitchen Knives are one of the best in the world but there are other Knives too. It all comes down to cost and your working plan.
- Design: Some of the Best Kitchen Knives in the world come with broad blades while others are slender. Also, the handle could be synthetic or made from natural material. The variety that these offerings throw up help to bring spice to your final decision. Basically, if you feel you would need a rugged Kitchen Knife that can do all the hard work; it is better to go for a Utility Knife. There are some Knives that come with a Bolster and others do not have any. A Bolster is simply that steel or space that links the handle of the Knife to the Blade. It is usually slimmer and smaller when viewed against the overall framework of the Knife. It is interesting to state that design as a factor for buying Knives is a bit broad. Some sub-heads that come under this range include the Country to Country Models, the Brand uniqueness and so much more.
- Components: The materials that are used to create good Kitchen knives can be quite instructive in making a good pick. For example, the Forged-Steel Knife has its advantages and disadvantage when weighed against the Stamped-Steel Knife. There are some Kitchen Knives that claim to be made from Alloyed Steel while others do not makes such claims.It might not be fair to make dogmatic assumptions based on the materials used in a Knife. All I can say is that factors such as durability are greatly tied to the component used in making a Knife. It is quite enlightening to discover that there are some Kitchen Knives that easily give way to rust. It might be cheaper in the market but it might not serve your interests in the long haul. In the light of the recent Consumer protection acts, you can take this from me: it pays to invest in a Knife that would serve you for a good number of years.
- Brand: When you look at the Kitchen Knives reviews that are commonplace in our world, you might tend to be confused. Each review positions a particular Knife as the best you can find. It becomes worrisome when you see World renowned Chefs endorsing different brands as the best in the Market. In order not to throw our hat to the ring, we have come to this conclusion. There are some brands that have been producing great Knives for Centuries. It is safe to go with a trusted name that has carved a niche in the market. However, you must not neglect the fact that new products can be of high quality too. It is better to go with a brand you are familiar with if you do not want to risk making a wrong choice. There are good German brands, Japanese Brands and great brands from different nations of the world. Just follow the tips that has been highlighted in this piece and all will be well.
- Preference: Every item that has been listed are based on general rules that apply to most individuals. The uniqueness of our Human experience allows people to define their personality by what they use. This brings us to this last consideration. You can make your pick based on your tastes. This can be referred to as a subjective decision making process but it holds true for many. If you look for something out of the ordinary or you are someone who likes products that are limited in the market; they are factors that might influence your purchase. Everything that has been listed in this piece is a guide to help you do what is right. At the end of the day, it comes down to you and what you feel is ideal for your peculiar situation.
Types of kitchen knives
There are four major types of Kitchen Knives namely Utility Kitchen Knives, A Parer, Chef’s Knife and A Slicer which is also known as a Serrated Knife or Bread Knife. It is important to state that there are other kinds of Knives but most of them come under this range. The more equipped a Kitchen is, the more Kitchen Knives you can find. There are slight modifications that come with each Brand but our focus would be on the common factors. Each of these Kitchen Knives Reviews would be done with a view to help you make informed choices. The features that each of these Knives offer can help you finish your Kitchen work in speed. When it comes to deciding which one ranks among the best Kitchen Knives; it all depends on what you make out of this listing.
- Utility Knives: They are commonly found in most Kitchens. They have a fairly broad handle and a mini or medium blade. Just as the name implies, you can use it for different purposes. It must be noted that it is not designed to give you the greatest results for most functions but it can serve you well. Most people go for Utility Knives based on considerations such as Cost or Space for storage. A recent study of the Kitchen Knives reviews that are making waves show that top Chefs are not left out of this field. They gave various reasons why they believe the Utility Knives hold a sublime placed in the Kitchen. Generally, there are two basic models that come under the group: the Mini and Medium blade design.
- A Parer: The dimension of the blade of these kinds of Knives is usually small. It stands at about 3 to 4 inches. They give you the flexibility to do different kinds of peeling or cutting. It is easy to handle and it has a very sharp point at the tip of the blade. In some situations, people use this Knife when they are going for Outdoor events such as Hunting or Camping. Although, the aforementioned activities are not the core reason why they are manufactured; it can help in those fields. The Paring knife can come in the Bird’s Beak Shape or a Basic Cook’s Knife. Also, it can have a straight or a wavy blade design. There are some lovers of the craft who find it ideal for carving. Based on the features of this Knife, it is mentioned when you are looking for the breakdown of the Knives that come in a set. It usually does not stand alone.
- Chef’s Kitchen Knives: When it comes to aesthetics, I think this is one of the best Kitchen Knives anyone can have. They usually come in the range of 6 to 12 inches. These knives are usually lightweight and are called Cook’s Knives. One of the best uses is for cutting, chopping, and mincing. There are Chef’s Knives that come with bolsters while others don’t have. The Blades are broader than the Handle but they are not heavy. It can be awkward handling a Knife that has a very heavy handle. When it comes to comparison in cost based on what they do, these Knives stand tall in its range. The way they slice through your Meat and other material show that they are sturdy. Another rule that applies to this type of Knives is the blades can be easily sharpened.
- The Slicer: These are ideal for slicing Bread or other crusty material. Most people who purchase these knives go for a defined function it would serve. The Slicer can come handy if you have no other option to choose from. Basically, the slicer has cut a traditional place in most tables during Breakfast. As long as there is Bread or any of such food to eat, the Slicer is the ideal knife for the job. There are different designs for this knife. They can come in small, medium or long designs. One has to be careful with the use of this Knife as its jagged edge can cut deep. It may not be the best knife if you are looking for a smooth cut. It is important to mention that the Slicer is called by other names such as Serrated Blade Knife and Bread Knife.
Care and maintenance
- Proper Storage: Do not let Knives lie carelessly or exposed to excessive humidity. This can lead to rust or make the edge become blunt. Also, just as it applies to every home accessory, it must be put away from any place where it can bring harm.
- Sharpen the Blade: It is essential to sharpening the blade once it begins to be blunt. This helps to save the Steel from excessive chopping which can reduce the lifespan of the Knife.
- Stick to their Use: Do not use Knives for what they are not designed to do. It is important to use Knives outside their basic function only when you do not have an alternative.
- Wash, Dry and Keep it clean: This is basically for issues of Hygiene. You would not want to introduce any foreign body to your food due to the poor hygienic conditions of your Knife.
Kitchen Knives Set vs Single Knife: What is your best bet?
The Best Kitchen Knives can take a little research to find but the effort is worth it. Here is a listing of the pros and cons for Kitchen Knives Set and Single Knives. All the Pros would be listed before the Cons are addressed.
Pros: Kitchen Knives Set
– It gives you options to work with. There are different designs that allow you to face any challenge in the Kitchen without stress.
– It can serve as a gift item to a family or loved one. It can make its place into a Collector’s item if that is your area of interest.
– It can be quite economical when weighed against the option of buying the Knives individually.
– It can give you assortment of Knives that are not so easy to find in the market.
– It helps you meet each Culinary demand when you are faced with out of this world meal preparations.
Cons: Kitchen Knives Set
– It can be expensive to get these sets. However, when you look at the durability of the Knives and their uses, it can prove to be a worthwhile investment.
– The Knives are pre-selected by the Manufacturer. You have no choice to make an input on what you want.
– You have to use each Knife in the set and sometimes you would find that you might not need some of them.
Pros of Single Knives
– It gives you the power to fulfill your goals due to its exclusivity to meet your needs.
– It can serve you for many years without the need of buying additional Knives.
– It resonates with your tastes or preference when it comes to Kitchen Knives.
Cons of the Single Knives
– They might not be versatile to take on some Kitchen projects
– They may be damaged in the cause of use and this can delay your meal preparation
A Final Word
There is a smart move to make when it comes to going for the Best Kitchen Knives. It is essential to go through Kitchen Knives Reviews such as this to guide you in your decisions.